Monday, March 28, 2005

WebObjects Rocks

If you probably didn't know I am a software developer. However, these days I am a web developer mostly. A little over a year ago I was asked to develop a hosted application. A hosted application is one which clients pay to use. This application is now available and it is called Portfolio Intelligence by 3 Olive Solutions (http://www.3olivesolutions.com). During the requirements process we decided that money was an object and that we should go the open source route as much as possible. Well I had just recently did a fair amount of work with PHP and mySQL so I knew we could go that route. The problem was I didn't care for PHP that much. I was much more comfortable with Java and real objects, etc. Well it just so happened that I also owned two XServes and they came with a deployment license for WebObjects. WebObjects wasn't free but danm near close at about $499 for a developer. In addition, in my past I had to review about a half dozen application servers back in the dot-com days and WebObjects was getting fabulous reviews. The problem was it wasn't Java.

Anyway, we decided that we would use WebObjects for this new project and a year later all I can say is WOW! WebObjects rocks. I have used other application and O/R mapping tools in my past but they can't hold a candle to WebObjects. Direct-to-web is a godsend for reporting, quick prototyping, etc., and Enterprise Objects with the Editing Context is light years above anything else I have used. Needless to say, after about a year we launched a rock solid application with flexible charting (thank you jFreeChart (http://www.jfreechart.org) and a great ad-hoc report generator with export to Excel (thank you Direct-to-Web of WebObjects).

Recently I had to port my app to WebSphere running DB2. Well I did and I don't have to do anything special. The database is determined at runtype and my EOModelPrototype is selected that correctly maps the objects to the relational table. That is very slick.

Wel I could go on, but then, maybe others would catch the WebObjects bug and the secret would really come out that WebObjects rocks!

9 comments:

Katrina said...

Is the Feed for this blog live? I can't seem to get me aggregator to read it when I subscribe. It's possible that my sheet metal prototyping site is rendering the feed or service wrong within my own code. Not sure. I'll double check.

Katbo said...

Great info. I've now subscribed to your blog feed so I can access it from my rapid prototyping tooling site. I should make it easier to read when I'm busy. Thanks.

Katbo said...

Great info. I've now subscribed to your blog feed so I can access it from my rapid prototyping tooling site. I should make it easier to read when I'm busy. Thanks.

Katbo said...

Great info. I've now subscribed to your blog feed so I can access it from my rapid prototyping tooling site. I should make it easier to read when I'm busy. Thanks.

Katbo said...

Great info. I've now subscribed to your blog feed so I can access it from my rapid prototyping tooling site. I should make it easier to read when I'm busy. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I found your site looking for arizona web site design and thought I'd just say Hi. website design bathurst

second mortgage said...

mortgage articles for refinance mortgage home loans

home equity line of credit said...

A

Mortgage Center said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here.
I also have a web site & blog about mortgage calc so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work!